Apple implements interledger in safari on iOS

Does anyone who's technically savvy mind telling me why this isn't a big deal? Cause otherwise I'm going to assume this is huge. 

(really what I'm getting at is, will they be using interledger to access other payment schemes, like bank to bank, domestic transfers, etc? Or is interledger strictly digital asset based)

Edited by Hodlezerper

Some context for those of you out there who might be interested in how long this stuff takes. 

An article from August of 2016. One could assume they were discussing it long before this article was written. Of course, we know what assuming does... ;)

https://www.ibtimes.co.uk/google-apple-like-ripples-interledger-protocol-interoperability-because-its-not-visa-1577010

Edited by Hodlezerper

4 minutes ago, Hodlezerper said:

Does anyone who's technically savvy mind telling me why this isn't a big deal? Cause otherwise I'm going to assume this is huge. 

(really what I'm getting at is, will they be using interledger to access other payment schemes, like bank to bank, domestic transfers, etc? Or is interledger strictly digital asset based)

The technical side is over my head.  But this has some good info on how it would be used.

https://interledger.org/rfcs/0003-interledger-protocol/

Just now, Tehol_Beddict said:

Interledger is becoming the global standard for payment interoperability. The best/cheapest source for liquidity using interledger is XRP. Unless all regulators globally prevent XRP from being used for cross-border Payment liquidity (seems unlikely), it will be used. You can have a domestic internet of value without XRP.

Right, but does it connect fiat to fiat or only digital assets?

3 minutes ago, Hodlezerper said:

Right, but does it connect fiat to fiat or only digital assets?

Any digital asset can be transferred or exchanged to another digital asset across any ledger that supports the open ILP.  So yes, fiat can cross to something else.

Edited by OzAlphaWolf